Thursday, July 3, 2008

Goldfish

Somehow, my 10 month old son, has become addicted to goldfish. You know, those tiny orange fish shaped crackers that are cheddar flavored. They're the perfect bite-sized cracker for a little person learning to feed himself. What I started doing was putting Nolan in his high chair and pouring a handful of goldfish out onto his tray while I prepared his dinner or got started cooking. Just a way to buy some time to get started and to occupy him so that I could multi task. It turns out that I have created a cute and tiny little monster. Now, it seems that these crunchy little crackers are all that he wants. I feed him a few spoonfuls of his baby food and before long, he bats away the spoon, turns his head and completely avoids the baby food. He grunts and fusses....................until the goldfish hit the table and then all noises cease and the hand to mouth routine begins. Suddenly, everything is right in the world and Nolan, happily munches away. I'm hoping he will grow out of this ritual, because I don't want him to get into the habit of a bad eating diet. I think with any addiction, the best form of action would be to slowly and carefully withdraw the portions until we get down to zero. In other words, maybe I need to wean him from goldfish. Sounds funny! Who would have ever thought this would happen??? I'm suspicious - is there some hidden ingredient in these peculiar snacks? At any rate, I'm sure there are worse things to be going through, but maybe not as funny.

4 comments:

Free Spirit said...

Hey girl, can I just speak up and say that ALL 4 of my kids went thru the goldfish stage. I think that's what it is; a stage. So don't get too worried, yet. I say let him enjoy it; it's something that probably gives him some sense of control. Meaning it's something he alone can feed himself, that's tasty, and fits perfectly into those tiny little fingers.

justjuls said...

Aw - I can just see those little fat fingers grabbing the goldfish.
My girls did that with cheerios - pre-goldfish era! I wonder what was before that.

Anonymous said...

The first step is admitting that you have a problem........ and some how I don't think that he is ready to go there quite yet! :)

Don't worry Nolan, Aunt Renae will hook you up with a supply in October.

Anonymous said...

who knows! Maybe there is something to that MSG thing
At least Grammy now knows how to get on the good side of you, Nolan