Friday, February 6, 2009

Humanity

People who have compassion are few and far between. But, when you do stumble across a truly caring person, it's actually shocking. The reason it is shocking is because most people have a hidden agenda. When a person is compelled to do a favor or truly care, without any expectations, I still find it hard to grasp and compute into my little brain. It does exist. I have experienced it and I do find it bewildering. Isn't that sad? I'm bothered that I feel that way. Time has a way of teaching us and a way of showing humanity's true colors. So, as a whole, we as humans tend to believe the worst in people. I habitually give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Time, however, against my will, is teaching me that it may be a waste of time and effort. I don't want to throw the towel in, but I sure do need some quick instances that will change my mind. Hurry, because we're running out of time!

2 comments:

justjuls said...

My little job at Walmart gives me chances to see the best and worst in people. Often a person will come through the line and someone else will buy the one item that the person is waiting for so they don't have to wait so long, or one night we had a guy come in and wanted to buy ONE flower for his first date - so a lady bought a whole bouquet so he could have just the one flower that he wanted. You also see people push and shove one another, cut in line, etc. but I am learning that there is more good than bad. I hope that you see that in the world that touches you too.

Wynne said...

Sorry to find the hint of despair in your post. Maybe you can take some cheer from your own earlier essay on Southern chivalry. Paul wisely counsels us to think on things of good report...
Best regards