Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A beautiful ride

As I was leaving for work this morning, I opened the garage door and looked outside to see beautiful snowflakes falling. Yesterday, I drove to work in the rain; I much prefer this mornings soft, fluffy flakes. It won’t accumulate too much, but it sure did put a smile on my face. I’m sure hundreds of kids were praying and begging for a snow day. Around here it doesn’t take much to have a school closing, because of the curvy mountain roads. I grew up in West Virginia and we had much harsher winters. We got our fair share of blizzards and as a child I benefited from quite a few snow days. I recall that buzz from the possibility of no school. My friends and I would call each other on the phone and talk with anticipation of getting a “free day”. These are the mornings that you would wake up “before” your alarm clock sounded; wide eyed and ready for the day at home, racing to turn on the radio and crossing your fingers to hear them say the magic words…………..Jefferson County schools are CLOSED! My sister and I would jump up and down in excitement over this news. What I wouldn’t give to have that feeling again, pure relief without any worry or guilt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, don't I remember those days! I rember staying out so long my hands would go numb. (especially when we didn't have any gloves and Mom would send us out with socks on our hands...ha ha) Oh, the awesome "sled courses" you used to make. None could rival!

justjuls said...

I remember those days too! I loved it!!
Renae is a hoot! Socks on your hands - hee hee!

justjuls said...

I love the picture of you and Nolan!!! Oh my gosh I could squeeze both of you!