Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What a difference a day makes

The alarm goes off and I squint to focus in on my clock. It’s 5:30 a.m. and this is the first time I’ve opened my eyes since I went to bed last night. That being said, Nolan slept the entire night. It’s amazing how different one feels with a good nights sleep. In retrospect, I wonder how I made it through the day literally coasting through on fumes. Three hours of sleep is just plain not enough and since I’m breastfeeding I don’t have the luxury of juicing up with caffeine - no way to kick start myself or jolt my brain into activity. Today, however, I feel great. Nolan, himself, seemed much happier this morning and showcased non-stop smiling and laughs. This is a much more appealing way to start the day.

Work has been running smoother for me, as well. We’ve been operating the last couple of weeks Director[less] – some of you may not be aware that Julio, my boss, is no longer in his position as Director of Physical Plant. This shock came about on February 12th and since then we’ve been sorta floating on our own. I did notice this morning that they did post a job announcement for the Director’s position. I was so sad to see Julio go, but I’m ready to get someone in here and up and running. I’m nervous about this for our whole department and for me personally, because I am a direct report to the Director. I worry about the new person’s expectations, personality and work ethic. I know that I shouldn’t worry, but that’s my nature. I worked for Julio for a little over 3 years, the entire time I’ve been in this position. He was who hired me. I usually can get along with most anyone, but I’m hoping that this next boss won’t be some psycho, control freak who piles on the work and looks over your shoulder demanding that this be done yesterday. My co-worker, Susie, told me at my first day on the job, “there’s never a dull moment around here and every day something new and unexpected happens.” Boy was she right! Just when you think you’ve heard it all…….you’re yet again left in astonishment. The latest being the Julio incident. One day he’s your boss, the next day he’s packing up and moving to another building. Mind you, he has a different title, same pay, less responsibilities, but how they went about it is what bothers me. As far as I know, they never formally sat down with him, counseled or wrote him up. So, he never had any fair chance of acknowledgement or ability to make improvements. It was just, we're making changes and one of them is that you are no longer the Director of Physical Plant. I believe the shock has finally worn off for him and me, but it will always be an unresolved issue on my conscience. So for now I guess we will see what tomorrow brings………..

1 comment:

justjuls said...

I love what you are doing and sharing here - sorry I haven't been here much - I haven't visited any blogs in the last couple of days - I've been sick sick sick. UGH. Feeling a bit better this morning.
Thanks for sharing your life with us like this.
Love you!