Monday, February 25, 2008

Sleepless in Georgia

For some unknown reason my 6 month old son, Nolan, decided to wake up numerous times last night. I made my way to bed between 10:30 and 11:00 and was in a state of sleep that is somewhere between dreaming and consciousness. You know when you feel like your sleeping, but not totally there? Then, I heard it, the dreaded cry screeching through the monitor. You gotta love em. It's actually a love hate thing, I've been tempted to just turn the thing off, but what if something happened? A strange noise or life altering cry that would send me to my feet running like a mad woman down the hall to Nolan's room. It is for that reason that I must leave it on. I walked into Nolan's room, changed his diaper and then proceeded to nurse him. This seemed to calm him instantly. Wonderful! Right? Not quite. As soon as I gingerly laid him down he instantly awoke and began crying. Maybe he's still hungry? I fed him some more, same reaction, he happily ate and seemed to be asleep. I placed him carefully in his crib, trying not to disturb his slumber, but yet again he awoke and began to cry. I quickly picked him up danced and rocked him side to side, it worked. Well, somehow the crib must have something on it that sends sensors to my son's back quickly alerting him that he has left his mother's arms. AHA! What does every mother do in this incident? I made my way downstairs for the Tylenol. He's been teething so I thought maybe his teeth are bothering him. I also threw in some Ora gel. That will have to do the trick. Finally, by 1:30 I was able to place him in his crib and RUN for my bed. I didn't run fast enough, because as soon as I was just about to crawl back into the warmth of my bed he started crying again.......UUGGGGHHH! Back in I go, this time I decide to wait him out and see if he cries himself to sleep. I sit on the floor next to his crib and lean against the wall. I somehow am able to drift away slightly even through the crying. I get up and go to bed. I don't even know what time it is now and I don't want to know. My eyes open to more crying, this time I look at the clock - it's 4:30, back I go making the march down the well worn path that I'm able to follow with my eyes closed. My son is smiling up at me like it's completely normal to be awake at this hour. I feed him again and rock him and lay him down. Same routine as before. This go around lasts until 5:15. Man, I've got to get up for work and that doesn't give me much more sleeping time. I go ahead and just turn that annoying alarm clock off. My husbands alarm is set for 6:00, I'll just get up then. I vaguely remember hearing my husbands alarm, then the running shower, then the garage door going down. Yikes! My husband and son are leaving for work/school! That means it's almost 7:00! I need to be at work by 8, I'd better put it into high gear. Of course, at this point my son is happily and soundly sleeping like there's no tomorrow. I have no problems waking HIM up this time. Even after the interrupted night of sleeping, he still greets me with a good morning smile that melted my heart. I picked him up and gave him a big hug and lot's of kisses and told him that I was sorry he had a rough night. I don't know why he had a bad night.......I'm wondering if the lady at Starbucks missed the part where I said Decaf - please. Whatever the case may be, I'm praying tonight will be a different story.

1 comment:

justjuls said...

Man - it's been a long time since I had a night like that - but I remember them well. Fortunately and unfortunately it is such a short time of their lives - and good and bad it breezes by so fast. The saddest part is when they stop - it means they are growing up.
Maybe he's reacting to his shots from the other day.
That'll teach you to "brag" about how well he sleeps! hee hee

Love you girl.
Get a good night's sleep tonight.