Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Degree Seeking Mom

I wish I would have known my career path sooner. I would have loved to have graduated from High School and gone to college and graduated in 4 years. Then got the job of my dreams and started into a career that was actually in my field of study. But NOOO, instead I'm 35, a full-time working mother of two and I'm taking college courses now while cramming everything else in my life at once. I know I'm not alone in this desperate quest for a college degree. If only back then I would have realized how important it was to go ahead and get it done while I was young, energetic and childless. That is one thing I would have done differently. If I could turn back the hands of time, I would have gotten my degree while I had less responsibility. These days, having a degree makes a huge difference in your chances at a decent paying job and with the job market the way it is right now, every extra edge or advantage is a huge benefit. Education is important and is something that can never be taken away from you. Knowledge is power and in my experience, so is having a degree. I plan on continuing and forging ahead with my plans in obtaining a Bachelors' degree, one class at a time. Better late than never!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it has to be very difficult being a working mom and going to school. Here is where I insert a Renaeism, "You do the things in life that you really want to do". Jarrod and I know first hand how important it is to have an education and I know how important it is to you. I am so proud of you and I know you will do great!

Free Spirit said...

You go girl!! You can do it!

Anonymous said...

I give you a lot of credit for taking on this challenge with a job and family. You are fortunate that your job gives you the chance to take courses for free and that you have no travel time. You are also fortunate that Brian supports you and has teacher hours! I went back to school once to finish my undergraduate degree at age 25 and once again at age 54 for a certificate program. It is never easy. It will be worth it in the end, tho.