Thursday, May 29, 2008

Office Politics

Surviving the working world means much more than a job well done after a tough day at the office. The daily grind and ins and outs of office chatter is exhausting. One of the toughest aspects of my job is dealing with the many unique personalities. I have to curtail and tailor my office etiquette to please so many different management styles, preferences and it sends my mind whirling around like a tornado. Sometimes I feel so out of control and pulled in so many different directions I feel sea sick - please pass the Dramamine.

Another horrifying pet peeve is office gossip, back stabbing and down right two faced "adults" who never seemed to graduate from their high school antics. This behavior down right infuriates me and suffocates my well being. I simply loathe the whispering, smile to your face, stab you in the back behavior that goes on, but, unfortunately, it comes with the territory. These behaviors make me feel paranoid, uncomfortable and more importantly, takes my mind off my work.

Some days these idiosyncrasies don't affect me at all, but some days, like the days this week, it just tears me a part;especially when it is so blatant. I know, I should be mature enough to let it go in one ear and out the other, let it slide right off my back, just ignore it. And, I do for the most part, but my easy going, laid back, c'est la vie attitude is worn out. My take it easy slot is all filled up. I feel like exploding and as I'm sitting at my desk I feel like I wanna run and escape the chatter.

Maybe I'm overreacting, maybe I'm just sick and tired, maybe everybody else needs to just grow up and pay more attention to the important things like doing their job, and thinking about going home to their families. Take a good look at the view - the big picture - and I guarantee you it's not gonna reflect any of the snide gossip or games played at the office. In a few years no one is going to care who finds out the dirt on the next hire or who got what raise or why this person doesn't seem to do their job right, etc. etc.

My synopsis............I'm ready for my vacation. The countdown begins-- I'm already mentally on the beach, listening to the waves roll in, seagulls overhead, and a gentle breeze blowing my hair as I watch my family play and splash in the refreshing water - aaahhh suddenly the office seems far away and barely visible. At the bottom of the ocean - the sharks are circling, but I'm safe on the sand reading a good book and escaping the chirps of office politics.

5 comments:

Free Spirit said...

What a fantastic piece of writing! Girl, I heard your heart and felt your pain, and I haven't been in the "work world" for 8 years now. But I do remember the frustration of the politics. You are wise to rise above and keep your focus, because you're right, one day, you'll lose touch with all those people you work with, and won't give a rat's behind about their gossip and immaturity.

Hang in there! And make the most of whatever vacation you have coming up!!

justjuls said...

Good for you -
I hope that vacation comes soon.

I was watching Mean Girls with my kids last night - and one of the things that stuck with me is how mean specifically girls/women are to each other. It is so ugly.

This is one of the benefits of working from home. :)

Anonymous said...

OK - you are probably surprised to see me on here, but I had to add my two cents. Julie hit the nail on the head with this one. I work with all women, trapped in a room with no escape. The amount of backbiting that goes on is unbelievable. I sometimes wonder how they smile at each other when they are face to face. In my situation, I think the problem is that some of the women I work with don't have much going on in their personal lives and therefore work is their life. I start the countdown from the minute I walk in T- 8 hours until I can leave. Maybe I need to look for other work. Anyway, Alisha I feel your pain so hang in there.

amatthews said...

Yes, you all are right women are wild cat's with their claws out ready to pounce at any given second, but the department that I work in is predominately male. There are a total of 3 women in our office, the rest men. Surprisingly, the men are just as bad, if not worse, at the gossip. One man in particular is in "the know" of it all. He stirs up so much trouble. His counterpart is a female though, but boy what a tag team they make.

The difference is that I too am a woman, but uncharacteristically, I do not enjoy these infantile games. So, Jarad, I guess you and I will have to somehow continue to be the mature adults in our working environments and muster up the strength to dodge and zig-zag the constant mud slinging.....and I thought girls didn't like to get dirty.

By the way, what a pleasant surprise to see your response in the web world - thanks for the support. It gets pretty deep in there and it's nice to know someone else can relate.

Anonymous said...

Alisha - I am glad you have this forum and so many supportive friends. What a great way to express your creative writing side.
You are just great at handling so many different situations and personalities at work with such calm and ease and very professional. I have only 2 or 3 people that talk to me occasionally and sometimes wish I would get interrupted more!
The book that I am currently studying says that there are only 2 kinds of people/situation - those that are loving and those that need love. That's good enough for me!
Men are no different than women - we all need love. It is not the situation that is troublesome but our perception of its meaning. Noone can disturb your peace unless you perceive it that way. You bring that ease to everything that you do. Teach by example and you do that! At least most of the time :)