Thursday, March 20, 2008

Change

Change – it’s not easy, or usually welcomed, but it is inevitable. Every facet of our lives is affected by change. Why then do we have such a problem with it? We are no more in control of our lives than we are of the weather. We are frightened of the unknown, nervous and uncomfortable about a change in our routine and we get down right angry if someone else tries to tell us we need to change our ways.

Change is good. Think about all of the positive events that have come about because of it. We change our eating habits to promote good health, we change our sleeping habits to benefit from a good nights rest, we change our attitudes to get along with others and we even change clothes to present ourselves in a clean and hygienic manner.

Change gets old. On the flip side, why do I feel like I’m the one always changing? I change to fit everyone else’s needs. I change my schedule to accommodate others. I change my wants and desires to please someone else. How do they know what’s best for me? I change my routine so as not to interfere with another person’s schedule. For once, why doesn’t someone change to fit my needs?

Change is a whirl wind of emotions and an unsettling action in constant motion rapidly evolving. We can either ride with the wind and land on our feet or fight an unnecessary battle that will end leaving us in exhaustion and defeat. Don’t get me wrong – if you don’t like something you have a right to stand up and take charge, but sometimes the raw energy surrounding us is already in formation leaving us in a lonely stance against an unforgivable force.

I think I change my mind. Why can woman do that without cause or explanation? Do men lack in some complex chemical that allows for such a thing in ones brain? Do we possess some special skill that enables our minds to wander back and forth between right and wrong, good or bad or is it the lack of decision making skills. I am guilty of second guessing myself after making a decision, maybe that’s why I do change my mind so often, but I usually learn from the outcome and move on.

Change is active, it is all around us, yet we still fight it. We try desperately to understand and reason with change. We question ourselves, others and aren’t happy until we can make sense of the change and fit it into our neat little life. If it doesn’t fit we try to brush it aside, we resist, we deny, we obstruct.

Change is a way of life. The seasons change – they shed the old so the new can sprout. Each layer fades so that bright new beginnings can form and take shape. Each passing day the birth of change unfolds before us. This is like a new wonder, an enchantment of possibilities. What does the future hold? We will see - one change at a time.

3 comments:

justjuls said...

Wow - some deep thoughts here.
Change is painful - it shakes the comfortable nest we make around ourselves. It makes us grow and stretch - and honestly - we're lazy!

I loved this line:
the raw energy surrounding us is already in formation leaving us in a lonely stance against an unforgivable force.

My sister, the writer - wow!

Free Spirit said...

Yeah, while I'm a card-carrying change resister; it has only been in the times that I have finally thrown in the towel of stubborn will that I have experienced the beauty that change brings.

It reminds me of something I've read: "And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the new wine will burst the skins, the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, new wine must be poured into new wineskins." Luke 5:37-38

The biggest change for me, has been shedding my old skins! But never has the wine taster sweeter!!!

Anonymous said...

This was absolutly what I needed to read Alisha, you could be an Author and write a book. I'll call you later and we will talk about this blog

Love, Mom