Thursday, March 27, 2008

Chivalry alive and kicking in the South

One thing that I love about living in the South, are those Southern Gentlemen. I'm old fashioned and proud of it. I have no problems with a man opening the door for me, carrying something for me, pumping my gas or treating me to lunch. In fact, it makes me feel like such a lady that I feel kinda bad wearing pants instead of a dress. Not too bad though, considering I haven't worn a dress since the last wedding I attended about a year and a half ago. Just today, I went to the tag office and as I turned to leave the clerk and head for the door, a gentlemen who was next in line turned around and walked to the door and opened it for me as I made my exit. I can't say that I was shocked, because this is a common exercise in these parts, but the beauty of it just never gets old. It made me feel so special. Around here, most drivers, instead of butting their cars as close as they can get to the person in front of them so as not to allow the next driver to pull out, will instead sit back and let a car or two out in front of them. If you have just a couple of items in the check out line, I've been told, you go ahead of me, you only have a few items. I've even been brought lunch because I couldn't get away from the office and payment is always refused. My sister commented a couple of times about how friendly everyone is and she couldn't get over the fact that the cashiers were so friendly and would actually carry on a conversation with you. It was mind boggling to her and made her realize how disgruntled the people are where she lives (up north). I really treasure these small town rituals. As a matter of fact, I can't imagine living anywhere else. Small town charm versus big city bustling....I'd pick the small town any day. A slower, calmer, safer, quieter and more peaceful lifestyle is what I've become accustomed to. Since I've lived both kinds of life I can say that the lower stress level and inner happiness is well worth it. So, continue on with the manners, chivalry and friendliness, it makes life for others so pleasant and shouldn't we all embrace the simple kindness of one another - it doesn't take much to make someone else's day. Even the simplicity of opening the door for someone - if it puts a smile on someones face - then one good deed for the day has been met. Maybe this explains the huge growth that's going on around here. Quality of life - there's a lot to be said for that.

2 comments:

justjuls said...

Men do not realize how much power they have with these simple graces either.

Free Spirit said...

I agree and am glad you're enjoying the small things.

I'm just now catching up on your blog -been busy lately, but good to see you up and running again.

Glad you had a great visit with family for Easter!